Thursday 6 July 2017

Tableau Interview Questions I - My experience

Hi Guys,

Glad to connect !!

I am one of the Tableau Lover :) Started my career as an IT professional in a Leading IT firm. My experience is into Business intelligence especially in Tableau and few other tools as well. 

There is no concept like there are some fixed interview questions for tableau. It completely depends on how you take it forward from the beginning of the interview. Here am listing few questions which I have faced in interviews throughout my journey.

Some of the questions may look silly and may include something general related to functional / Project along with Tableau because that is what I experienced :)

The first and foremost questions which we are prepared with is 
Tell me about your Project / Experience. (Might not be applicable for freshers. They should share about themselves)

1.    What do you think about Tableau compared to other tools?

2.    What is Data Visualization?

3.    Is tableau a reporting tool or data visualization tool?

4.    What are all the different products of tableau?

5.    What are the versions of Tableau you have worked so far? (whenever you have worked in multiple version you should be very sure about the major updates of the versions)

6.    What are all the different file versions of Tableau?

7.    Have you ever worked in Tableau public? If yes, what is the purpose of it and what have you built in Tableau Public?

8.    What is Tableau Online and Tableau Server and the difference?

9.    What is the major update in Tableau 9x over 8x or Tableau 10x over 9x?

10. Among the update brought in the recent version what you found interesting and what have used so far?

11. What is Tableau bookmark and how it differs from the Tableau workbook (.twb or .twbx)

12. Consider opening a bookmark file and a Tableau workbook. Are they one and the same? If yes, then what is the use of bookmarks?

13. Are you aware of Gartner magic quadrant for BI platform? If yes, who are all the leaders in 2016?

14. What is the major challenge in the project you have found so far?

15. what is the major challenge in tableau you have found so far?

16. What are the most complex reports you have built? (when you are answering this question get hands-on on that report. They might ask you to do)

17. What are all the difficulties you faced with larger data sets?

Let's get into more technical :)

18. What is the difference between sets and groups? (often asked in interview)

19. when do you use sets and when do you use groups? (explain a scenario)

20. what are combined fields in the tableau and when it will be useful?

21. Can you use sets/groups in a filter? if yes, why and how? If no, why?

22. Can you use sets/groups/parameters in calculated fields? if yes, why and how? If no, why?

23. What is the difference between parameters and filters?

24. When do you use parameters? (Probably you should be able to explain a scenario)

25. What are the limitations of parameters?

26. Can we do multi-select in parameters?

27. Can same parameters be used across multiple data sources?

28. Can we include data from the fields in parameters instead of hard coding? How?

29. How to create Top N and Bottom N values in tableau? If you are explaining using sets they might ask is there any other way to do it?

30. How to pass database parameters?

31. How to use nested parameters and their pros and cons?

32. What is a calculated field?

33. How to achieve YOY values (For e.g. YOY sales or profit) in tableau? If your answer is using quick table calculation then they might expect for another way to do it (using calculated field)

34. Get an idea as how to calculate YTD, MTD, YOY, MOM, Previous year sales at a given period (especially using calculated field as there are lot of ways provided Tableau experts)

35. what is the Rank function in Tableau? (go through all the 5 rank functions in tableau-like Rank, Rank_dense, Rank_combined etc.,)

36. What is the index function in tableau and the difference between rank and index functions?

37. There are some scenarios like they may ask what is the result of all 5 rank functions given a number say (1,3,4,3)

38. what is Lookup function and have you used it so far? how and when?

39. How do you manage to use filters when you are using lookups? (questions might be in different forms)

40. What is a dimension and a measure in tableau?

41. How tableau automatically identifies a dimension and a measure? what is the criteria?

42. Have you ever noticed that some dimension appearing as a measure in tableau? why?

43. What are the blue and green pills highlighted across dimensions and measures?

44. What is discrete and continuous in tableau?

45. How to change a field from discrete to continuous and what is the significance?

46. Is date (Full date) a discrete or continuous value?

47. How many columns by default tableau will accept in a report? If we want more is there any way to change it? (this question might be asked in different forms)

48. How to create a bin? what is the purpose?

49. what is aggregation and de-aggregation and the significance?

50.  What is the maximum number of tables we can join in tableau?


I know that I have not covered lot of topics which I will be covering in my next post :) I will try to cover some scenario based questions as well which I have experienced. Stay Tuned :) 







61 comments:

  1. Please share real time scenarios

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vasista,

      I will try to share some scenarios in my next post.

      Thanks,
      Preethiga

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dᴇᴀʀ Pʀᴇᴇᴛʜɪɢᴀ,Cᴀɴ ʏᴏᴜ ᴘᴏsᴛ ᴀɴsᴡᴇʀs ᴀʟsᴏ ?
    Iᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴠᴇʀʏ ʜᴇʟᴘғᴜʟ ғᴏʀ ᴍʏ ᴘʀᴇᴘᴀʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏʀ ᴇʟsᴇ ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ sᴇɴᴅ ᴀ ᴍᴀɪʟ ᴛᴏ ᴠɪᴄᴋʏ.ɴᴀɢᴀ143@ɢᴍᴀɪʟ.ᴄᴏᴍ
    Tʜᴀɴᴋ ʏᴏᴜ :) Sᴛᴀʏ Bʟᴇssᴇᴅ !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky,

      I will be posting the answers soon!..

      Thanks,
      Preethiga

      Delete
  4. Hi Preethiga,

    Thanks for the questions. It is really helpful. Could you please share answers as well so that it will be beneficial for freshers too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Sure, I will be providing the answers soon..

      Thanks,
      Preethiga

      Delete

    2. Hi Preethiga,

      Thanks for the questions. I gone through all interview questions which are available in google and some other blogs. But these questions are very close to real time. you have gathered in very good manner. It is really helpful. Could you please share answers as well so that it will be beneficial for freshers too?

      Delete
  5. Question- Can we include data from the fields in parameters instead of hard coding?

    please is there someone who can explain me its answer....????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mehta,

      Yes, you can add it from field as well. Check the option add from field right to the display area in the parameter window. By clicking on that you will get a list of field which satisfy the data type of parameter you have selected.

      Hope this helps!

      Thanks,
      Preethiga

      Delete
  6. Hi,
    Can you please provide answers and any complete twbx file since in most of the interviews they give one sales or finance related data and ask to prepare dashboard.....i dont have any prior experience in finance and sales domain so it will be very helpful for my preparation ..

    thanks and regards
    UD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Umesh,

      I will try to provide you the details on that. Kindly provide your mail id. I will try to connect on the same

      Thanks,
      Preethiga

      Delete
    2. Can I have answers pz it’s really help ful for my interview

      Delete
  7. Hi ,
    can you provide answers please and also mail me some real time scenarios and projects sunil9985.mekala@gmail.com.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Preethiga,

    Can you please provide answers for the questions and any real time scenarios that would be asking in Interview to Soubhagi9@gmail.com
    That will be helpful for my preparation.

    Thanks in Advance!!

    Regards,
    Bhagya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Preethiga,
    im working as a qlickview developer now i learned tableau started giving interviews can u please post answers or plss send to my mail firoz38@outlook.com it will be helpful to me

    thanks &regards,
    firoz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Preethiga,
    Excellent information. Thanks for sharing it. can you provide answers please and also mail me some real time scenarios and projects jayshaanu@gmail.com.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Preethiga,

    Can you please provide answers for the questions and any real time scenarios that would be asking in Interview to u.kiran043@gmail.com
    That will be helpful for my preparation.

    Thanks in Advance!!

    Regards,
    Kiran Kumar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Preethiga,

    My name is sreenivas, i have learned tableau very recently and preparing for interviews. Just FYI, i have worked on Oracle technologies for 10 years. So kindly with me: my eid: srinivas.siddu@gmail.com

    Interview questions and answers
    Real time scenarios
    Roles and responsibilities of a project lead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. . So kindly share* with me: my eid: srinivas.siddu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. please share me the answers . Its really helpful and my mail id is : ravikirana60@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Preethiga, kindly share me the answers.Thanks in advance. My email id is shitalvetal52@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello preethiga,could you please send me the answers to my mail id :apj.sudheer@gmail.com.thanks in advance..

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello preethiga,could you please send me the answers to my mail id :kavithadevarajan.21@gmail.com.thanks in advance..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Preethiga, kindly share me the answers.Thanks in advance. My email id is shiva07.bi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Could you please provide me the answers on ayusha10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Could you please provide me below on deepthi.raghumanda@gmail.com
    Interview questions and answers
    Real time scenarios and answers

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Preethiga, could you please provide me the answers on my email id ram.potdar@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please provide answers to sumand2328@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. can you please provide answers and real time scenarios on email id divanshu.satija9@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such an ideal piece of blog. It’s quite interesting to read content like this. I

    appreciate your blog Tableau Online Training

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi...thanks a lot for sharing the questions. Could u please shares the answers to chaitanya.akkireddy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello. Can you please share the answers to those questions? Thanks! tjoyeduntan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Preethiga
    could you please provide me the answers on my email id patil.bhavyadeep1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Preethiga,

    Can you please send the answers to email rkalpana0806@gmail.com

    And thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Preethiga,

    You have good source of questions and advice. can you send me answers to my email id sakinalashashank@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. If anyone need answers for all these question, please email me games.on.now@gmail.com Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi all,
    Any one can please send me answers to my email id vennapusa470@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Preethiga,
    Hope you are doing good.
    Shall I contribute in giving answers to the question which I know.

    Thanks

    Regards,
    Abhijit

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Preethiga,

    can you send me answers to my email id nvelayutham96@gmail.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi,

    Any one can please send me answers to my email id rkalpana0806@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. If you are looking for Tableau Interview Questions I've put together a really healthy list, all vetted by Silicon Valley professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi..can you please share the answers to : debanjanabhattacharya13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. can you please share answers to swathikangantibobi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Pratighya
    Can You send me thease answer on my mail id....
    pavantalware@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. hi preethiga,can u please share answers to these questions on ssurisetty.web@gmail.com...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Pratighya
    Can You send me thease answer on my mail id sachin.gworld@gmail.com also send me some example of real time scenario based projects & interview question

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Pratighya
    Thank you so much for the providing these questions I really appreciate the efforts Please send me the answer on my mail id kimayagado213@gmail.com also send me some example of real time scenario based projects & interview question

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your blog is very nice and provide me informative content thanks for sharing for more information about What is Tableau

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Pratighya
    Can You send me thease answer on my mail id shitalvetal52@gmail.com also send me some example of real time scenario based projects & interview questio

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Team, Could you please share with me also the Answer sheet in this email - ajayra261@gmail.com. ! Thanks in advance !!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Excellent blog I visit this blog it's really awesome. The important thing is that in this blog content written clearly and understandable. The content of information is very informative.We are also providing the best services click on below links to visit our website.
    Oracle Fusion HCM Training
    Workday Training
    Okta Training
    Palo Alto Training
    Adobe Analytics Training

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hope education college work. Network herself here crime sit significant out.entertainment

    ReplyDelete